Could studying grammar and writing improve not only how I communicate my thoughts, but how clearly I can see those thoughts myself?
I started wondering about this while reading the first chapter of Joseph Williams and Joseph Bizup's Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace. The chapter looks at why so much prose is hard to read, and one of its points stayed with me: writing is often unclear because the writer has not yet worked out what he actually thinks. The tangled sentence is a symptom of tangled thinking. That made me wonder whether the process could run in the other direction. If unclear prose can reveal unclear thinking, could learning to revise prose help me find, and fix, the unclear thinking underneath it?
At first, this sounds like a stretch. Grammar is about sentences. Self-awareness is about understanding one's own thoughts, motives, emotions, assumptions, and behavior. What would subjects, verbs, clauses, modifiers, nominalizations, and cohesion have to do with knowing yourself?
There is no good reason to believe that studying grammar automatically makes a person more self-aware. But there is a more modest and more interesting possibility:
Better command of language can give us better tools for externalizing, examining, challenging, and revising our own thinking.
That is not a claim that grammar creates thought. It is a claim about language as a tool for metacognition: thinking about one's own thinking.
Grammar and Reading Comprehension
Grammatical knowledge is clearly related to reading comprehension. A 2023 meta-analysis by Zheng, Miao, Dong, and Yuan combined 86 studies involving 14,852 readers, from primary school through university, and found a substantial correlation between the two. The reported effect (Fisher's z = 0.54) works out to a correlation of roughly r = .49. The authors also found considerable variation among studies, especially by grade level and language.
Two cautions apply. First, a correlation of that size is meaningful, but it is not destiny. Second, and more important, it is a correlation. It shows that people who know more grammar tend to read better. It does not show that studying grammar causes better reading. Both could stem from wide reading, verbal ability, or years of schooling.
Still, it is easy to see why grammar would matter. When I read a difficult sentence, I need to work out:
- Who is doing what?
- What modifies what?
- Which statement qualifies another?
- Is this clause giving a cause, condition, contrast, concession, or consequence?
- What does a pronoun refer to?
- Which idea is subordinate to another?
Grammar gives the reader a structural map. That raises an obvious question: if grammar helps me inspect the structure of someone else's thinking, could it help me inspect the structure of my own?
What the Evidence Says About Studying Grammar
Before answering, I have to deal with an uncomfortable finding. In Writing Next (2007), Steve Graham and Dolores Perin reviewed the research on teaching adolescents to write. Traditional grammar instruction, meaning the explicit study of parts of speech and sentence structure, had a negative average effect on writing quality. Sentence-combining practice, in which students learn to build more sophisticated sentences out of simpler ones, had a solidly positive effect.
That finding does not refute the idea I am exploring. If anything, it sharpens it. Knowing the names of grammatical parts is not what helps. Practicing the manipulation of structure is: combining, subordinating, reordering, and revising. That is exactly the kind of work that turns out to matter for self-examination as well.
Thought Is Not the Same Thing as Language
Here I need to be careful. Human thought is not an internal stream of well-formed sentences. Much of our mental life is emotional, visual, associative, sensory, or intuitive. We can feel fear, attraction, confusion, or grief long before we can explain any of it.
So it would be a mistake to say that bad grammar produces confused thought and good grammar produces clear thought. A better model is:
Experience → language → reflection → revision
Language matters most in the middle of that process. Once I put an experience or interpretation into words, I have created something I can inspect. I can reread it, question it, compare it with evidence, rewrite it, and ask whether another explanation fits the facts better.
Why would putting a thought into words help at all? Cognitive science has names for the mechanism. Lev Vygotsky argued that language is not only a way of reporting thought but a tool for doing it. More recent research on cognitive offloading describes how people use external aids, such as notes, lists, and diagrams, to take load off limited working memory. Writing does not improve my thinking by upgrading my brain. It improves my thinking by putting a version of the thought outside my head, where I am no longer juggling it all at once and can deliberately work on it. Everything that follows in this article is an operation performed on that external copy.
There is also direct evidence that how we put experience into words matters. James Pennebaker's research on expressive writing found that writing about difficult experiences was associated with later health and well-being benefits. His follow-up studies with colleagues found something more specific. The people who benefited most were not the ones who simply poured out their feelings. They were the ones whose use of causal words (such as "because" and "reason") and insight words (such as "realize" and "understand") increased from one writing session to the next. They moved from "I feel terrible" toward "I realize this happened because..."
That finding fits the model above closely: the benefit seems to come from building an account, not from venting. I want to be careful not to overstate it. These are word choices, not grammar in the narrow sense, and the pattern is correlational. People who were already processing their experience well may simply have used those words more. But it is suggestive evidence that constructing causal explanations in language is part of how people reappraise what has happened to them.
Writing Turns Thought Into Something You Can Examine
A vague feeling and a specific proposition are very different things. Consider:
I am overwhelmed and the project isn't going well.
That may accurately describe how I feel, but it gives me little to investigate. Now consider:
I am avoiding the research phase because I have not set a stopping point for collecting sources. I have started treating the absence of more research as evidence that the article is not ready to draft. That lets me postpone drafting while telling myself I am making progress.
The second version separates several things:
- Emotion: I feel overwhelmed.
- Behavior: I am avoiding drafting.
- Trigger: I have no stopping point for research.
- Belief: The article is not ready.
- Consequence: I keep researching instead of drafting.
- Possible function: Research may be a respectable form of avoidance.
Grammar did not discover any of this. Attention and honesty did. But language gave those observations a structure that made them far easier to inspect.
Writing Also Generates Thought
That may be fair to grammar while underselling writing. Writing does not only package thoughts that already exist. It often helps produce them. Vygotsky held that thought is not simply expressed in words but completed in them, and David Galbraith's research on "writing as discovery" found that drafting can generate ideas the writer did not have before starting. Most people who journal know the experience of discovering, halfway through a sentence, something they did not know they believed.
So in the model above, the revision step changes the thought, not just the words. Each round of rewriting can leave me thinking something slightly different from what I started with.
But this cuts both ways. A realization that emerges during writing feels like uncovering something that was always there. It may instead be a new interpretation that the writing itself created, one that feels like a revelation precisely because it arrived suddenly. The feeling of discovery is not evidence of accuracy. That is one more reason the countercase, described below, matters.
Williams: Find the Characters and the Actions
Joseph Williams's Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace, now coauthored with Joseph Bizup, is especially relevant here. It treats clarity as a series of deliberate choices, and its chapters on actions, characters, cohesion, coherence, emphasis, and the ethics of clarity make it much more than a rulebook.
One of Williams's most useful principles is to find the characters in a sentence and the actions they perform, then check whether the characters appear as subjects and the actions as verbs. Consider:
A failure to implement the planned outreach strategy occurred because of resource constraints.
It sounds professional. It is also nearly impossible to interrogate. Who failed? What resources were missing? What did anyone actually do? A Williams-style revision:
I did not carry out the outreach plan because I did not set aside enough time and money for it.
Now the claim can be investigated. Did I really lack time, or how did I spend the time I had? Did I lack money, or did I decide the spending was not worthwhile? Was fear of rejection involved? Did another project legitimately deserve priority?
Williams's method does not produce the truth. It does something almost as important: it makes the claim auditable.
But it only exposes the first layer. "The cessation of the project resulted from a failure of prioritization" becomes "I stopped the project because I did not prioritize it." Why not? Perhaps it was a rational allocation of limited resources. Perhaps I was bored, or afraid of failing, or had underestimated the work. The revised sentence cannot tell me which. It can only put the question where I can see it.
Zinsser: Strip Away the Protective Language
William Zinsser's On Writing Well argues for clarity, simplicity, and the removal of clutter. Applied to self-reflection, that discipline has a sharp edge, because complicated language sometimes exists to protect us from saying something uncomfortable.
Under the current circumstances, I was unable to allocate the appropriate resources toward that particular initiative.
The simpler truth may be:
I didn't make time for it.
And the less comfortable truth may be:
I didn't make time for it because I didn't want to do the hard part.
Simple Language Is Not Automatically Honest Language
Zinsser's discipline comes with a warning. Concision can strip away the padding that hides the truth, but it cannot guarantee that what remains is the truth. "I was afraid of failing, so I quit" is perfectly clear. It might also be wrong. Perhaps the opportunity was genuinely poor, or the economics did not work, or something better came along. A concise explanation can be a rationalization just as easily as a padded one.
We Are Poor Witnesses to Our Own Motives
This warning has strong empirical support. In a classic 1977 paper, "Telling More Than We Can Know," Richard Nisbett and Timothy Wilson reviewed experiments in which people confidently explained the causes of their own choices, and were often wrong. Their explanations tracked what seemed like a plausible reason, not what had actually influenced them.
That is the real problem this article has to face. My explanations of my own behavior are not reports from the inside. They are theories, and I build them with the same tools I would use to explain a stranger.
Verbal skill makes this more dangerous, not less. Keith Stanovich, Richard West, and Maggie Toplak describe myside bias as evaluating evidence, generating evidence, and testing hypotheses in ways that favor one's existing views. Their review found that the magnitude of myside bias showed little relationship to intelligence.
Put those findings together and the conclusion is uncomfortable: a person can become much better at constructing explanations without becoming any better at determining whether they are true. Linguistic skill needs an epistemic partner.
Ask "What," Not Only "Why"
One practical correction comes from organizational psychologist Tasha Eurich. In her research on self-awareness, people who habitually asked themselves "why" questions ("Why do I keep doing this?") did not gain more insight, and often landed on flattering or unproductive answers. People who asked "what" questions ("What am I doing instead? What situations trigger this?") did better.
That fits the Nisbett and Wilson problem. "Why" invites a story. "What" invites an observation. Clear writing is most useful for self-examination when it is aimed at behavior I can actually see.
From Clear Writing to Adversarial Self-Examination
If I want writing to improve my self-awareness, and not merely my ability to explain myself, I need a process that challenges my own account:
Describe what happened naturally, without trying to make yourself look good or bad.
Identify the actors, actions, causal claims, abstractions, and hidden assumptions.
Remove euphemisms, clutter, inflated language, and vague phrases.
List what you actually did and observed before you write any explanation of it.
Write the strongest reasonable explanation that disagrees with your preferred one.
Ask what observations would support or weaken each explanation.
Change your explanation if the evidence warrants it, and design a small experiment to check it.
Steps 5 and 6 carry the weight of the whole process, and they are the ones I am most tempted to skip. Steps 1 through 4 feel productive. They leave me with a cleaner, sharper, better-organized account of myself. But given everything above about how poorly we see our own motives, a cleaner account is not necessarily a truer one. Without the countercase and the search for evidence, the first four steps simply produce a more polished rationalization, and a polished rationalization is harder to see through than a sloppy one.
The countercase is where self-examination actually happens. It forces me to write, in clear language, the explanation I would prefer not to be true, and then to ask which one the evidence supports.
Done in full, the process turns writing from a way of expressing thought into a way of testing it.
An Example: From Rationalization to Testable Hypothesis
Suppose I write:
I didn't finish the article because I was afraid of failure.
That might be true. It is still a hypothesis, and a "why" answer. Here is a "what" version:
Over the past three weeks, I spent about eleven hours collecting more sources and less than ninety minutes drafting, even though I already had enough material for a first draft. I kept telling myself more research would make the article easier to write, but it did not reduce my reluctance to begin. This suggests further research may have been working partly as avoidance. For the next article, I will set a research stopping point and begin drafting as soon as I reach it.
Now I am no longer telling myself a satisfying story. I have:
- identified observable behavior;
- separated behavior from interpretation;
- proposed a possible cause and labeled it as a hypothesis;
- made a prediction;
- designed a behavioral experiment.
If I set the stopping point and still don't draft, the avoidance explanation was incomplete, and I have learned something no amount of introspection would have told me.
What Each Resource Actually Contributes
This changes how I think about a grammar-and-style curriculum. These books are not all doing the same job:
| Resource | Primary Function | Metacognitive Contribution |
|---|---|---|
| Wren & Martin | Systematic grammar | Vocabulary for structure (indirect) |
| The Blue Book | Quick usage reference | Little on its own |
| Sentence diagramming | Visual syntax | Shows how ideas depend on each other |
| Sentence combining | Structural practice | Trains control of subordination |
| Williams & Bizup | Clarity and revision | Exposes hidden actors and actions |
| Zinsser | Concision | Strips euphemism and padding |
| Pinker, The Sense of Style | Modern readability | Shows how readers interpret prose |
The pattern is telling. The more a resource focuses on naming grammatical parts, the less it contributes to self-examination. The more it focuses on revising sentences, the more it contributes. That matches the Writing Next findings. And none of these books can tell me whether my explanation of myself is true.
A Better Formula
My original intuition was:
Better grammar → clearer thinking → greater self-awareness
I would now revise it:
Better language → better externalization → better inspection → better questioning → potentially better self-understanding
And another branch must stay visible:
Better language → more sophisticated rationalization
The difference between the two paths is not grammar. It is what I do after I have put the thought into words.
Clear Enough to Test
Writing well trains sensitivity to distinctions: subject and object, cause and correlation, qualification and conclusion, fact and interpretation, possibility and probability, description and explanation, explanation and justification. And eventually, the one that matters most for self-awareness: justification and rationalization.
Those distinctions are not just useful for writing. They are useful for thinking. But they come with a trap. The better I write, the more a well-built paragraph of my own can feel true. A precise explanation can feel profound. A concise sentence can feel authoritative. None of those feelings is evidence.
That leads to the principle I most want to keep:
Use style to make your explanation clear enough to test, not merely clear enough to believe.
Williams can expose the actors and actions. Zinsser can remove the clutter. Grammar can reveal the structure. Writing can put the thought outside my head where I can inspect it. Asking "what" instead of "why" can keep me close to the evidence. Critical thinking can challenge the argument, and humility can let me change my mind.
The goal is not merely to write more clearly. It is to see more clearly what I am saying to myself, and to be willing to find out whether it is true.
Sources
- Eurich, T. (2018). What self-awareness really is (and how to cultivate it). Harvard Business Review. See also Eurich, T. (2017). Insight. Crown Business.
- Galbraith, D. (2009). Writing as discovery. British Journal of Educational Psychology Monograph Series II, 6, 5–26.
- Graham, S., & Perin, D. (2007). Writing Next: Effective strategies to improve writing of adolescents in middle and high schools. Alliance for Excellent Education.
- Nisbett, R. E., & Wilson, T. D. (1977). Telling more than we can know: Verbal reports on mental processes. Psychological Review, 84(3), 231–259.
- Pennebaker, J. W. (1997). Writing about emotional experiences as a therapeutic process. Psychological Science, 8(3), 162–166.
- Pennebaker, J. W., Mayne, T. J., & Francis, M. E. (1997). Linguistic predictors of adaptive bereavement. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 72(4), 863–871.
- Risko, E. F., & Gilbert, S. J. (2016). Cognitive offloading. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 20(9), 676–688.
- Stanovich, K. E., West, R. F., & Toplak, M. E. (2013). Myside bias, rational thinking, and intelligence. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 22(4), 259–264.
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1986). Thought and Language (A. Kozulin, Trans.). MIT Press. (Original work published 1934)
- Williams, J. M., & Bizup, J. Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace. Pearson.
- Zheng, H., Miao, X., Dong, Y., & Yuan, D.-C. (2023). The relationship between grammatical knowledge and reading comprehension: A meta-analysis. Frontiers in Psychology, 14, 1098568. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2023.1098568
- Zinsser, W. On Writing Well. Harper Perennial.
No comments:
Post a Comment