Tuesday, September 22, 2026

How to have greater self-awareness

 Self-awareness is often considered one of the foundations of personal growth. It influences our ability to change habits, improve relationships, make better decisions, and live according to our values.

However, there is a significant challenge: the mind is extremely skilled at protecting its own self-image. Human beings naturally rationalize their choices, explain away failures, and interpret events in ways that preserve their beliefs about themselves.

Because of this, simply feeling self-aware does not prove that we actually are self-aware. A person can spend hours thinking about themselves while still remaining blind to their own patterns.

Self-awareness is not simply knowing what we think or feel. It is the ability to see ourselves accurately enough to recognize the gap between what we intend to do and what we actually do.

True self-awareness therefore requires something more demanding: the ability to compare our internal story about ourselves with external evidence.

Greater self-awareness develops through feedback, behavioral tracking, reflection, and honest evaluation of our actions—especially when we are under pressure.

How Common Is Lack of Self-Awareness?

The landmark study on this comes from organizational psychologist Dr. Tasha Eurich and her research team. They found that while 95% of people think they are self-aware, the actual number who meet the criteria for true self-awareness is only around 10% to 15%.

Psychologists generally attribute this large gap to several cognitive factors:

  • The Internal vs. External Blind Spot: Eurich's research identified two distinct types of self-awareness: internal—how clearly we see our own values, passions, and reactions—and external—understanding how other people view us. Most people assume that being introspective automatically means they know how they come across, but the relationship between the two is surprisingly weak.

  • Introspection Traps ("Why" vs. "What"): When people try to understand themselves, they often ask "Why" questions such as "Why did I react that way?" or "Why do I keep failing at this?" Although these questions sound reflective, they can invite plausible-sounding explanations and rationalizations. More productive reflection often asks "What" questions instead: "What was I feeling in that moment?" "What happened?" "What did I actually do?" and "What can I do differently next time?"

  • The Ignorance of Ignorance: The Dunning-Kruger effect describes how people with limited competence in a domain can also lack the metacognitive ability to recognize their deficiencies. More generally, one of the problems with self-awareness is that a person cannot easily see a blind spot that they do not know exists.

  • Ego Preservation: People have powerful psychological mechanisms for protecting their self-image. Rationalization, denial, and other defensive processes can make objective self-observation uncomfortable. The very things we most need to see about ourselves may be the things we are most motivated not to see.

As Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote:

"Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others." — Fyodor Dostoevsky

The practical implication is important: you cannot rely entirely on your own first impression of yourself. If your brain can rationalize your behavior, then developing self-awareness requires ways of checking your internal story against reality.

How to Have Greater Self-Awareness

1. Seek Uncomfortable Feedback

One of the clearest signs of self-awareness is the willingness to discover things about yourself that you may not want to hear.

People with low self-awareness often rely primarily on their own internal narrative. They judge their character, motives, and impact based on what they believe to be true.

Self-aware people recognize that everyone has blind spots. They understand that other people can sometimes see aspects of their behavior that they cannot see themselves. Other people can serve as a mirror for aspects of ourselves that are difficult to observe from the inside.

A powerful question to ask trusted people is:

"How did I handle that situation?"

or:

"What am I missing about my own impact here?"

The important part is not merely asking for feedback—it is how you respond when you receive it.

Do you immediately defend yourself and explain why the other person is wrong? Or can you listen, consider the possibility that they see something you do not, and search for the truth?

The Test

Think of a recent situation in which you interacted with someone you trust. Ask them:

"How do you think I handled that?"

Then resist the urge to explain yourself.

Simply listen.

Feedback is a mirror. The willingness to look into an uncomfortable mirror is itself an exercise in self-awareness.

2. Compare Your Self-Image With How Others Experience You

Seeking feedback is useful, but there is an even more demanding test: Can you accurately predict how other people experience you?

Self-awareness requires more than knowing what you think about yourself. It involves some degree of alignment between your self-perception and the way other people actually experience you.

For example, someone may believe:

  • "I am a great listener."

  • "I am patient under pressure."

  • "I communicate clearly."

But if the people around them regularly experience them as interrupting, becoming defensive, or failing to explain things clearly, there is a gap between self-perception and reality.

Try this exercise.

Write down:

"What are my three greatest interpersonal strengths?"

Then write:

"What are my three greatest interpersonal weaknesses?"

Before asking anyone else, predict what several people who know you well would say.

Then ask them independently.

The areas where your answers match provide evidence that your self-perception corresponds with how others experience you.

The areas where they disagree do not automatically mean that you are wrong. Different people see different aspects of us. But significant and recurring discrepancies are worth investigating because they may reveal blind spots.

The Test

Ask three people who know you well to identify your three greatest interpersonal strengths and three greatest weaknesses.

How closely do their answers correspond with your own?

The exercise is valuable not because other people's opinions are infallible, but because they provide information that your own perspective cannot provide.

3. Examine Whether Your Values Match Your Behavior

Self-awareness is also demonstrated through behavioral consistency.

Many people know what they believe. Fewer people examine whether their daily actions consistently reflect those beliefs—particularly when they are stressed, criticized, tired, frightened, or frustrated.

Self-awareness means noticing the difference between:

Who I want to be

and

What I actually do when tested.

For example, a person may believe:

"I want to serve others."

But when criticized, they may become defensive, seek control, lash out, or focus on proving themselves right.

That moment reveals something important.

The self-aware person does not simply say:

"I am a good person with good intentions."

Instead, they can recognize the discrepancy:

"I say I want to serve, but right now my ego is trying to win."

This is particularly important because our behavior under pressure can reveal patterns that are difficult to see when everything is going well.

Our stated values tell us what we believe about ourselves. Our behavior provides evidence of how consistently those values are being lived out.

The Test

When your behavior does not match your stated values, resist the temptation to immediately explain the discrepancy away.

Instead ask:

"What does my behavior tell me about myself?"

The goal is not self-condemnation. It is accurate information.

True growth begins when we identify the gap between our ideals and our behavior.

4. Recognize Your Personal Triggers

Self-awareness includes understanding your emotional patterns before they control your actions.

Most people have predictable triggers:

  • criticism,

  • rejection,

  • uncertainty,

  • feeling ignored,

  • fear of failure,

  • loss of control.

These triggers often produce recognizable physiological and emotional signals before a full behavioral reaction occurs.

You might notice your muscles tightening, your heart rate increasing, an urge to interrupt, a sudden desire to withdraw, or a strong impulse to prove yourself right.

These are personal warning signals.

A self-aware person learns to recognize them in real time.

They can say:

"I am becoming defensive."

"I feel threatened right now."

"My desire to prove myself is taking over."

"I am starting to retreat because I feel unsafe."

This awareness creates a pause between stimulus and response.

Without awareness, the pattern happens automatically.

With awareness, we gain the ability to choose a different response.

The Test

Think about a recurring situation in which you tend to react poorly.

Ask:

"What happens immediately before I react?"

Then identify your early warning signs.

What do you feel physically?

What emotion appears first?

What thought accompanies it?

What behavior usually follows?

The earlier you can identify the pattern, the greater your opportunity to interrupt it.

5. Focus on "What" Instead of Only "Why"

When something goes wrong, many people immediately ask:

"Why am I like this?"

"Why does this always happen to me?"

Although these questions may seem reflective, they can encourage unproductive rumination and rationalization.

A person can spend hours constructing an explanation for their behavior without actually learning what to change.

A more useful approach is to ask:

"What specifically happened?"

"What was I feeling?"

"What triggered the reaction?"

"What did I actually do?"

"What actions led to this outcome?"

"What pattern do I need to change?"

"What will I do differently next time?"

The shift from "Why?" to "What?" moves reflection toward observable events, behavior, and future action.

The goal is not to eliminate questions about causes. Understanding causes can be valuable. The danger comes when searching for explanations becomes a substitute for examining evidence and changing behavior.

Self-awareness is not about endlessly analyzing yourself.

It is about accurately observing yourself so that you can change yourself.

Use Journaling to Build a Personal Mirror

Journaling can be a powerful tool for developing self-awareness, particularly when it is structured around observation rather than simply emotional expression.

Writing forces us to translate vague thoughts and emotions into explicit language. This creates psychological distance between ourselves as observers and our thoughts as data.

Instead of simply thinking:

"I am angry."

we can write:

"I became angry after receiving criticism. I felt misunderstood, and my response was to become defensive."

That shift turns an emotional experience into something we can examine.

Journaling also provides something our memory cannot reliably provide: a record of what we actually thought, intended, and did at the time.

Human memory is reconstructive. As time passes, we may unconsciously reinterpret our motives and actions to fit our current self-image.

A journal gives us a contemporaneous record.

Looking back over months of entries can reveal patterns that are difficult to recognize in real time:

  • procrastinating when facing uncertainty,

  • becoming discouraged after setbacks,

  • avoiding difficult conversations,

  • repeatedly making the same mistakes,

  • becoming defensive in response to criticism,

  • abandoning goals when discomfort increases.

The journal therefore becomes more than a place to express thoughts.

It becomes a personal mirror.

Don't Turn Journaling Into Rumination

Journaling is not automatically beneficial.

If journaling consists primarily of repeatedly venting about other people, explaining why circumstances are unfair, or constructing elaborate justifications for our behavior, it can reinforce the very self-deception we are trying to overcome.

The key is to make journaling specific, behavioral, and evidence-based.

Instead of:

"Today was terrible. Nothing went right."

write:

"I intended to exercise for an hour. I exercised for twenty minutes. I became discouraged when the workout felt difficult and stopped. Next time I will reduce the intensity rather than abandon the session."

The second entry gives you something to learn from.

Combine Goals, Journaling, and Accountability

One of the strongest practical systems for developing self-awareness is to combine goal setting, behavioral monitoring, journaling, and external accountability.

Goals create direction.

Monitoring provides evidence.

Journaling provides reflection.

Accountability introduces an external reality check.

Together they create a feedback loop:

Intention → Action → Measurement → Reflection → Feedback → Adjustment

This is particularly useful because self-deception becomes harder when our intentions and behavior are made visible.

1. Compare Daily Execution With Stated Intentions

In your journal, record specific goals alongside what actually happened.

For example:

Goal: Spend two hours on Project X.

Actual: Spent thirty minutes on the project, then reorganized files for ninety minutes.

The point is not to immediately label the behavior as failure.

Perhaps organizing the files was necessary. Perhaps the original goal was unrealistic. Perhaps you were procrastinating.

The important thing is to investigate the discrepancy rather than automatically accepting the explanation that makes you feel best.

The gap between intention and behavior is information.

2. Conduct a Weekly Motive Audit

Once a week, step back from your daily activities and examine your motives.

Ask:

"Did I pursue this goal because it created genuine value, or was I primarily trying to soothe my ego, gain approval, avoid discomfort, or protect myself from failure?"

Also ask:

"Did my behavior this week support the person I say I want to become?"

These questions can reveal motives that are difficult to recognize while we are caught up in the moment.

3. Use a Pre-Mortem Before Important Goals

Before beginning an important goal, imagine that you have already failed.

Then ask:

"What behaviors, excuses, emotional reactions, or old habits might have caused the failure?"

For example:

"I may procrastinate when the task becomes difficult."

"I may abandon the goal after one bad day."

"I may spend time preparing instead of doing the actual work."

"I may become discouraged when I don't see immediate results."

Identifying these traps beforehand makes them easier to recognize when they appear.

4. Report Your Progress to Another Person

External accountability adds another layer of protection against self-deception.

Research by Gail Matthews on goal-setting and accountability provides a useful illustration. In her study, participants who wrote down their goals, committed to specific actions, and sent weekly progress reports to a supportive person reported substantially greater goal achievement than participants who merely thought about their goals.

The broader lesson for self-awareness is significant:

When our intentions and behavior become visible to another person, it becomes harder to maintain a flattering but inaccurate story about ourselves.

A weekly report does not need to be complicated. It can contain:

  • What I intended to accomplish

  • What I actually accomplished

  • Where I fell short

  • What I learned

  • What I will change next week

The other person does not need to be a therapist or expert. A trusted friend, colleague, mentor, or accountability partner can provide an external perspective and, perhaps most importantly, ask questions we might not ask ourselves.

Self-Awareness Is a Continuous Audit

Self-awareness is not a personality trait that some people simply possess. It is a discipline developed through continuous honesty.

And perhaps the greatest obstacle is that the person we are trying to evaluate is the same person doing the evaluating.

That is why self-awareness needs external checks.

Seek feedback.

Compare your self-image with how others experience you.

Measure your behavior.

Examine your actions under stress.

Recognize your early emotional triggers.

Journal what actually happened.

Set specific goals.

Monitor your progress.

Compare your intentions with your actions.

Report your progress to someone else.

Ask "What?" when "Why?" becomes an excuse for endless rumination.

The most self-aware people are not necessarily those who think they know themselves perfectly. They are those who recognize how easily they can fool themselves—and therefore deliberately build systems that make self-deception more difficult.

Ultimately, self-awareness is the ongoing process of replacing assumptions with evidence, self-image with reality, and vague intentions with observable behavior.

It is not always comfortable.

But the willingness to see ourselves more accurately is the beginning of the ability to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sun Tzu's Art of War: Why Winning Every Battle Can Mean Losing the War of Your Life

Military historian Richard A. Gabriel made an insightful observation in a History Channel documentary about Sun Tzu: the idea that wars are ...